New vaccine against Bovine Respiratory Disease: Boehringer Ingelheim reaffirms its focus on prevention

  • Bovalto® Respi Intranasal now registered in most European countries for active immunization of cattle against Bovine Respiratory Syncytial Virus (BRSV) and Bovine Parainfluenza 3 Virus (PI3V), two of the major pathogens involved in Bovine Respiratory Disease (BRD)
  • BRD is one of the most common diseases1 affecting cattle all over the world
  • Boehringer Ingelheim reaffirms its focus on prevention and animal well-being

Ingelheim, Germany, 27 September 2018 – Boehringer Ingelheim’s Bovalto® Respi Intranasal is a new respiratory vaccine for active immunization of cattle against the viruses Parainfluenza 3 Virus (PI3V) and Bovine Respiratory Syncytial Virus (BRSV).
It represents an important advance in safeguarding health of cattle against one of the most common cattle diseases spread worldwide.
BRD has a significant economic impact with costs estimated at £43 per dairy calf and £82 per suckler calf. Only 40 per cent of these costs represent vet fees and medicines; the other 60 per cent are hidden costs primarily resulting from mortality and a reduction in growth rates2.
“This is an important step to control BRD in cattle,” explains Steve Williams, Global Head of Strategic Business Unit Ruminants at Boehringer Ingelheim. “Our long-term objective is to focus on prevention, not only BRD but also other diseases. Therefore, we plan to launch Bovalto® Respi Intranasal in cattle farming regions in order to provide a simple vaccination for a large benefit in the management of this respiratory disease in young cattle.”
Bovalto® Respi Intranasal is the first cattle vaccine launched after Boehringer Ingelheim and Merial joined forces in 2016.
Boehringer Ingelheim
Improving the health and quality of life of patients is the goal of the research-driven pharmaceutical company Boehringer Ingelheim. The focus in doing so is on diseases for which no satisfactory treatment option exists to date. The company therefore concentrates on developing innovative therapies that can extend patients’ lives. In animal health, Boehringer Ingelheim stands for advanced prevention.
Family-owned since it was established in 1885, Boehringer Ingelheim is one of the pharmaceutical industry’s top 20 companies. Some 50,000 employees create value through innovation daily for the three business areas human pharmaceuticals, animal health and biopharmaceuticals. In 2017, Boehringer Ingelheim achieved net sales of nearly 18.1 billion euros. R&D expenditure, exceeding three billion euros, corresponded to 17.0 per cent of net sales.
As a family-owned company, Boehringer Ingelheim plans in generations and focuses on long-term success, rather than short-term profit. The company therefore aims at organic growth from its own resources with simultaneous openness to partnerships and strategic alliances in research. In everything it does, Boehringer Ingelheim naturally adopts responsibility towards mankind and the environment.